Sunday, October 14, 2012

Interactivity #2: The HIstory of Technology in Schools

4 comments:

  1. I love this picture that you put up, Lorraine! It clearly conveys the message of how students (including us sometimes) in our generation rely too much on the text message language. It is sometimes scary to think about the impact it will have, and it is also nerve-wracking to realize that it is up to us to change it! How do you think we'll be able to do that? We rely so much on social media and text messages now, how do you think it will be in the future?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Lorraine,

    This picture that you posted definitely raises an interesting question...My answer is, I hope that it won't be accepted in schools! While I don't see anything inherently wrong with children creating their own language (after all, language is constantly evolving in new ways), I think that the majority of their new "language" is made up of abbreviations and acronyms that do not have a place in formal writing. Most of us probably write very casually via text messages, facebook, twitter, etc. and there's nothing wrong with that, but as college students, and especially as English majors, we also recognize the importance of being able to write in a more academic and formal format. I think it's important the students going through the public school system today are taught that "proper" writing still matters and is valuable.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lorraine,

    This picture definitely is a true statement. It's interesting to think about how language is evolving each year. So far in my fieldwork placement school, I have not come across any issues with "text messaging language" in papers that I have read. However I do notice this issue more in the way they speak.
    As far as writing, I feel like the class knows better than to use acronyms and slang in their papers. It is important at a young age to first teach students the proper way of writing and speaking, and why it is important. If a student gets a cell phone at age 7 and starts learning in "text message" language, I think this will reflect in their writing. As teachers, we need to draw a fine line between proper and improper language. It's great that you brought this issue up. I wonder how this language will be in a few years?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kids always have had their own slang and developed a lexicon as a form of passive rebellion. This picture is great to state this notion. Also I like that you have integrated the notion with technology as being one of the more contemporary issues in creating a new vocabulary to easily navigate within the technologies we use today. Also i like how you touched upon how this can be problematic when students use a technologically based "slang"in an inappropriate format such as a scholastic setting such as within papers and the classroom. Also you underlined the possibility of a disconnect that students can face when they are used to constantly using this language and have issues turning it of and on. When introduced to a more prescriptive vocabulary, some may not be familiar with, due to their constant use of a technologically based slang, some students may face difficulty interpreting the text efficiently.

    ReplyDelete