Sunday, October 7, 2012

A Backlash for Online Schools


The article “Online schools face blacklash as states question results” was very interesting. It discusses how the idea of having “virtual classrooms” and virtual learning is becoming more and more prominent across the entire world. However, the article also goes on to discuss how the real motive for having a virtual classroom is not to merely to give children more resources to learn, or to make learning more appealing to students etc… Instead it is being pushed into schools because others feel that it is an “affordable alternatives to the conventional classroom”. They seem to be putting “private-sector profits ahead of student achievement”. If this is the real motive behind incorporating technology into classrooms, I have three problems with it.

First, the focus on children’s educations should do just that, focus on students’ education. If the aim is merely how the states can save money, or even make a profit, I am disgusted with this proposal. Second, I feel that all children, regardless of the age, grade, mental state etc… needs some form of communication with others such a s their peers. Where else are they expected to grow social skills? Lastly, as I mentioned in one of my previous blogs, what would creating these “virtual classrooms” do for us as teachers? It would put us out of our jobs. Is technology inside of the classroom worth it?

Luckily a few states such as Maine, New Jersey, and North Carolina has refused to insert the virtual classrooms into their curriculums. Why? Because they are considering the children, their education, and whether or not it will benefit or harm the students. Before incorporating virtual classrooms inside of the schools, they first want to make sure that it will produce good results.

The results that have been obtained so far show no change for the better in education. In Florida, the virtual tours are being investigated due to accusations that uncertified teachers are being utilized. Then, in Tennessee, “the commissioner of education called test scores at the new Tennessee Virtual Academy "unacceptable." I got a chance to speak with a few students from a high school located in Newark, New Jersey. Even though only part of their days consists of a virtual classroom, 85% of the students told me that they did not like the virtual classrooms. Is trying to incorporate technology into our classrooms only making education even less appealing ad desirable of the students?

I agree with Michael Horn when he stated, “"I don't think we need to put the brakes on completely, but we need tweaks to accountability models, which will slow growth."



No comments:

Post a Comment