Sunday, October 7, 2012

Falling Behind or Catching Up???


"Children should not be shackled to a one-size-fits-all school building the way they have been for the last 100 years," said Ronald Packard, chief executive officer of K12 Inc. Even though that all sound good and dandy due to it “souningd” like technology would only do good for students and their education, it seems that the negative effects are being avoided. We should not live the same way as we did hundreds of years ago, however, we have to realize all of the contributions that going to school and interacting with one’s teachers and peers has on a student. Being inside of a classroom teaches students how to communicate, share, interact, explore, learn new things etc… Schooling has a huge effect on a child’s personal skills, especially the younger children.

Then, the sad part is that, having these online classes and/or schools has not produced any positive results yet. “…in state after state, full-time online schools have posted poor test scores and abysmal graduation rates”. Despite this, according to K12, for students who stick to the online courses for several years, good results are produced. I guess like any other new idea, it takes time for it to begin to produce good results; however, the entire idea of online classes and/or courses has started in the 1990s (before I was even born), so how long do they need to have good results?

 The article goes on to discuss how, “they find that many actually lose ground in core academic subjects”.  This is something that I mentioned in a previous blog that I fear will happen. “Almost every cyber-school in Ohio ranked below average on student academic growth in preliminary report published by the state last week. A Stanford study last year found cyber-students in Pennsylvania made "significantly smaller gains in reading and math" than peers in traditional public schools”. Children are only children, and with the virtual/online courses and classrooms, they can become too dependant on google, wikipedia, dictionary.com, spell check etc…Like I mentioned in a previous blog, I feel that in order to incorporate technology inside of the classroom, and to produce good results, first teachers have to make sure that the students have a good, solid foundation of the material first. 

            



No comments:

Post a Comment